11/12/2009

When Obama visited Norway

The president of United States, Barack Obama, and his wife, Michelle, came to Oslo 10th of December - as the most important person in the world - with Air Force One (his flying office). He practically owned the airport, the only highway down to the city, and Grand Hotel in the city centre. The security was very high. And the distance to him was far, far away. His response to the press was two questions.

And later on he dared to talk about war - the fact that violence sometimes is necessary to achieve peace, according to himself. Personally, I was disappointed. I only agree with Obama if we only use violence against those who go to war. It's the idea of going to war that bothers me.

As I saw Obama waving with his hand and smiling on the Grand balcony, I knew that he was on work. I felt the great distance between me and him. But I was happy.

In Norway, where we have great institutions, I am convinced that he could have been walking on the street. Earlier this year, the King and the Queen of Norway took a stroll in the park. The prime minister of Norway is cycling to work. Norwegian people have huge amounts of arms in their homes, but homicide is rare. Many Norwegian people hoped to see Obama personally, and even chat with him. At least they hoped that he would sit down for a coffee somewhere in the city.

But it never happened. He waved and smiled. That's all.


No comments:

Post a Comment